Pages

Thursday 1 December 2011

There is Bright to Be Seen: Story Two.

  Last week one of my professors told me a story of when she was working with a little girl who had scoliosis so bad that her hip was permanently up at her ribs. The little girl could not say anything more than “yes and no”, so whenever the staff needed to know more than an answer to a yes or no question then she talked with a board. One night my Professor put the little girl to bed, but she kept hearing her stirring. She went in to see if she had forgotten something, and went through a list of things with her to see what she wanted…

“Do you need water?”
“No”
“Do you need to go to the bathroom?”
“No”
“But you want something?”
“Yes…”
“Another pillow?”
“No.”

And it continued on…finally she landed on what the little girl wanted; “her prayers.”
 So my professor went and got the little girls board and asked her what she wanted to pray for. 

"I want to thank God”  

“What do you want to thank God for?” my professor asked.


The little girl the then began to give her a list of everything imaginable from the home she lived in to rocks...

”Thank God for my mom, my dad, the sky, the home, the birds, the sun, the butterflies, the flowers…”

My prof said she learnt that day not to assume the quality of someone’s life.

The little girl was happy. She was thankful. She may have been in enormous physical pain; yet, she focused on all the little blessings in her life and couldn’t sleep until she thanked God for every single one of those little blessings. Again….Perspective. 

Thank you God for flowers in their intricate detailed beauty
Thank you God for placing a single tree in the middle of a field
& Thank you God for constantly reminding me these things are important to thank You for.

2 comments:

  1. This made me cry... and feel shame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you God for joy and pain
    Thank you God for plant and tree
    Thank you God for sun and rain
    Through all these things you show me - thee.

    ReplyDelete