Pages

Wednesday 30 November 2011

There is Bright to Be Seen

            It is said that your situation is unchangeable. You are where you are. The only thing that is changeable is your outlook; your perspective.

My dear Fiancé, bless his beautiful heart, the other night said to me (oh how I love these moments)...“Either you aren’t being fully real with me all the time or you are just the most joyous person…ever.” It got me thinking because I couldn’t immediately say which one was true. I began to analyze how I look at things and how I deal with the things around me. I was trying to see if I do hide those things that are hard to deal with or if I really am just simply content with them.
           I am not here to say which I figured out was true about myself; I am still not totally sure. It’s probably a balance in between the two, but that’s not what my goal in writing this was.

It was just that it got me thinking;
A positive perspective is one of the greatest virtues.

I see and work with people all the time that would seemingly have a nightmare of a life to those looking in. But I see moments of total bliss and true happiness ALL the time in them; even pure contentment.
So I decided for the next few days I would post a new story that has taught me about proper perspective. These moments seem to always come so timely when I have been working with people, I’ll feel a lack of peace or discontentment with something and then God gives me a holy slap in the face…

           The first story comes from when I recently had to look at the life of a middle aged man that was developmentally delayed and write a paper on his strengths for an assignment.
Something that stood out to me was this quote of his…“I like candles and lamps and light fixtures and sunshine and something bright to be seen in our world and street lights and everything.”
Something bright to be seen in our world. He may not have been able to do a lot of things for himself, he may never be able to do anything close to what we feel is a normal life, but he stopped in wonder at anything that had light and had a belief that there was something bright to be seen in our world.

Yesterday morning as I walked to work at five a.m. in the rain and dark, tired and cold and in a bad mood I suddenly had to stop and look at the Christmas lights on some of the houses. I smiled thinking of Carl and the joy he would have found in that moment.

I feel I am the luckiest person on earth for getting to be around people who have such an amazing perspective on things of life. It constantly shakes me awake to the beauty God has placed on Earth.
That beautiful perspective is in a moment with Geoff where we are watching Sharon, Lois and Bram on my laptop and he reaches over to hold my hand, or when I give him some yogurt and he spits out a “thank you” in between fits of giggles.
I think of the joy children find in bubbles and wish we could carry that throughout our life.

It’s all about focus.
Do you focus on the bad, the mundane, the ugly;
Or do you focus on the Beauty of God in the light fixture and the bubbles.

6 comments:

  1. This is POWERFUL! I love the "I got a holy slap in the face" that's what I got while reading this! I love your question where is your focus? It is all about focus. I need help. You should teach this stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU ARE SPECIAL!!! Thank YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so beautiful, Carli!

    ReplyDelete
  4. carli you have a true gift, you hear the whispers of God and share them with all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carli you are amazing and you made me want to think more about the bright things that are always present in our lives even when things are not the best. Theres always a brightness somewhere, I think you just have to look for it right? Thanks, you reminded me.. I think trying to keep a positive attitude in starting this new life here in Germany will help though its not always easy, but nobody said anything is right! Thanks Carli, I love you and miss you <3 Kiana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Becca... a powerful perspective and a good reminder to find the beauty in life, in spite of the trials... I am most proud of your honesty and vulnerability. Dad.

    ReplyDelete