Pages

Saturday 10 December 2011

Acceptance.

I have another story to post after this, but I thought I would share a few photo's!
I love collecting these stories because I feel it is so important for me to be an advocate for people who have disabilities. There is a whole generation who is scared and confused by those with developmental disabilities because until recently most people who had a disability were institutionalization and weren't a part of our society. It was but a few years ago Rideau Regional closed down. We read about injustices in past History and are disgusted. Our stomachs turn when we think about the way our ancestors treated the aboriginals, or what the Nazi's and Hitler did to Jewish people; yet, we don't realize our generation is a part of a huge injustice that is still occurring. We may have finally got rid of institutions which mistreated the people living within so terribly, but we still have so far to go as far as changing the attitude's of those around.

I see this when I take out the little girl I support to the mall, or even last night as me and Geoff went to a concert. People just don't understand that there is SO much value to that person they look at with confusion or disgust. People with disabilities have desires and dreams; they want acceptance and love as much as anyone else, but we want them to fit into the mold we have created as a society...the "norm". We won't accept someone who yells out or rocks back and forth because that isn't "normal."  Does the problem lie in them or with us?

If I could have anything it would be to see the world accept; accept those that are different without them having to change or fit in the model we have designed in the first place. Because most people were created one way that doesn't make it the right way. I believe in a God who is flawless; who doesn't make ugly but perfect creations and among those beautiful perfect creations is the little girl with Tay Sachs or the man with Down Syndrome. I just want to see the day that everyone can see the beauty, wisdom, graciousness, and worth within those with developmental disabilities. 
 Geoff and I at the concert last night! He was loving every minute of it...We had a blast!

 Sorry Ben! He grabbed my hand...there was nothing I could do about it! :)

My Darling Boy and my Sweet Angel watching the Hockey game together!
 

 She just loved him!

1 comment:

  1. Everyone has mountains to climb and challenges to meet... It is a great joy to see love and acceptance flowing out of such a warm loving heart.....God created beauty.... we just have to open our eyes and see it....Thank you Carli....Bless you! Brenda B

    ReplyDelete