Pages

Sunday 1 December 2013

My Jesus

Every time I pass by one of those signs in front of churches, I always roll my eyes.
It's always something so cheesy.
Last night it was "God can do anything but fail." BLEH.
They just always seem to fall so short of the message that would reach people.
I always ask people, who's opinions I respect, what they feel is the most important message, what they believe would be the single most vital thing to get across to people suffering about who Jesus is.
I asked Pastor Alex this when we were in Costa Rica, really feeling like if anyone was to know it was him, who is serving suffering people all the time.
His answer, through broken english, was simple and through a means; with action, with serving, with meeting people where THEY are at you bring Love, Acceptance and Grace. And then he reminded me that his church is full of people he met in bars, dumpsters, and brothels and range from ex prostitutes to ex hitmen.

After passing by the church sign yesterday I was trying to think of the message I would want to get across, what I would want the countless suffering people to know as they passed by about my Jesus.

Jesus is a radical adventurer, a radical lover, a radical philosopher/theologian, a radical servant, a radical Father/Friend/Mentor; a radical hippie.
He is full of radical selflessness, radical acceptance, radical grace, radical forgiveness, radical passion and radical peace. 
He wants to know you intimately, wholly, honestly, and deeply
And not despite it all but with it all;
He wants to love you fully, unconditionally, passionately, beautifully, flawlessly, and furiously  

I need a bigger sign.

No comments:

Post a Comment