Pages

Tuesday 18 December 2012

Margaret Kilgallen

 Margaret Kilgallen is such an inspiration to me. Not just because she was a great artist, not just because she was a huge contributor to folk art, but because she was a mother. 
She refused treatment for herself when she found out she had breast cancer while she was pregnant to protect her baby. She carried her baby full term and delivered a girl before dying a few weeks later.

Stories like this aren't told enough. She is nothing short of a saint. 


 "I like things that are handmade and I like to see people's hand in the world, anywhere in the world; it doesn't matter to me where it is. And in my own work, I do everything by hand. I don't project or use anything mechanical, because even though I do spend a lot of time trying to perfect my line work and my hand, my hand will always be imperfect because it's human. And I think it's the part that's off that's interesting, that even if I'm doing really big letters and I spend a lot of time going over the line and over the line and trying to make it straight, I'll never be able to make it straight. From a distance it might look straight, but when you get close up, you can always see the line waver. And I think that's where the beauty is." -Kilgallen 


No comments:

Post a Comment